About the business
AJ Hackett Bungy is synonymous with innovation, at the cutting edge of adventure tourism & the world industry leader in gravity challenges. We're a proudly Kiwi organisation, with innovation, life experience & fun at the core of what we do. With almost three decades & a 100% spotless safety record under our belt, we've expanded our resume to more than 'just' Bungy & we're looking for someone to join our Crew & come with us for the ride!
About the role
If you're craving an exciting, energetic role in an adrenaline-filled & fast-growing setting, then look no further! We're looking for a passionate Cook or Chef to lead the Kitchen team at our busy Bungy Café based at the Kawarau Bridge, in Gibbston Valley.
We're searching for someone with enthusiasm & experience & an appetite for excellence, who we can trust to grow & develop our existing Café menu, utilising your exceptional food production skills, customer & market awareness & flair for food to do so.
This isn't your normal Cheffing position; as well as working with the best Crew & customers around, we're offering the rare luxury of a 9-5, with no split shifts, early starts, late finishes or fiery tempers to deal with. Working in collaboration with our Café Supervisor, you'll lead our Kitchen team &, as much as we like to have fun, a business focused attitude & the ability to maximize & generate sales, along with a healthy respect for H&S & a drive for outstanding customer service, is key to success.
This is a permanent, full-time position & applicants must be eligible to work in NZ & prepared to work weekends & public holidays. Flexibility will be required to meet the seasonal demands of the industry & cover private events & functions. This role will begin at the end of April 2019, including a 2 week handover with our current Chef. We are ideally looking for candidates currently residing in the Queenstown Lakes region, with a minimum of 6 months' commitment & full NZ work eligibility.
Key responsibilities include:
- Practical cheffing/cooking duties & leading the Kitchen team
- Inventory; stock taking, rotation & levels; wastage control
- Designing & developing an innovative & creative menu, in collaboration with the Café Supervisor
- Liaising with suppliers, sourcing & ordering local products
- Assisting the Café Supervisor to support, develop & train Kitchen & Cafe staff
- Ensuring that customers & Crew are happy & well fed
- Ensuring the Café, Kitchen & products meet food hygiene standards; adhering to the FCP & taking responsibility for H&S
- Working with the Cafe Supervisor to meet action plans & budgets & ensure revenue is maximised
- Maintaining customer service standards at the highest level
Benefits & Perks
This position comes with free uniform & transport, as well as the chance to become part of our Crew - our amazing team of staff (they're more like family, really!) who get out of bed every day to 'inspire people to awesomeness by helping them do things they never thought they could'
We offer job security, a real sense of belonging & value &, as well as all our other perks, the chance to Bungy as much as you like, comes as standard! AJ Hackett Bungy NZ are also proud to offer a range of internal & local discounts, offers & support, an extensive EAP & comprehensive Long Service Reward Program
Skills & Experience
If you think you've got what it takes, you'll need to be/have:
- A love of food, combined with practical cooking & food preparation skills
- Awareness & understanding of food hygiene legislation & FCP's
- Creative menu ideas, to suit the demands of a changing seasonal market & international clientele
- An eye for detail
- Ideally, operational experience & knowledge of the hospitality industry
- Experience working to budgets & the ability to drive revenue through the creation of delicious products, preferred; keenness to learn is just as good though!
- Strong leadership skills & the ability to motivate, support, train & develop Cafe Crew
- An awareness of local produce & the ability to keep our Crew from getting hangry would be a bonus!
- Able to self-manage & work autonomously, yet still enjoy rocking it as part of a tight knit team
- Someone that doesn't think twice about fitting hard work & fun times into the same day!
- Current, clean & full NZ Driver's Licence & previous experience in the NZ/local tourism industry would be beneficial
If you'd like to be challenged professionally & think you fit the bill, we’d love to hear from you. We’re all about accepting, including & developing a Crew that mirror & represent our eclectic customer base & are committed to fair hiring practices & equal opportunities. If you’re keen to join our diverse team, who have fun at work & take pride in what they do, please send your application through!