KPMG New Zealand is part of the international KPMG network and is passionate about providing the best audit, tax and advisory services to clients.
KPMG people focus every day on fuelling New Zealand’s prosperity. We believe the work we do with businesses, the public sector and our communities can make a real difference to the health, wealth and well-being of New Zealanders. Our work with the private and public sector recognises the critical importance of being part of building the effectiveness of both sectors role in that prosperity.
KPMG’s Innovation & Growth Advisory division is looking for a new member to join our growing team. Our Innovation & Growth Advisory team supports businesses across the spectrum of sizes - from large publicly listed companies to small startup companies - in navigating the complex and ever changing field of government funding. This team operates in the fast moving space of businesses conducting research and development activities to create a growing and vibrant technological sector in New Zealand.
- As part of the Innovation and Growth Advisory team, the role of the Consultant is responsible for delivering high quality research supporting work on engagements to meet the client’s need. This role will work across a number of different industry sectors.
- Currently, the government is overhauling the whole innovation funding ecosystem, resulting in a rapidly evolving field which brings with it many challenges and opportunities.
- At the heart of this reform, and the number one priority for the current Labour-led Government, is the introduction of the new R&D Tax Incentive, which replaces the prior government’s R&D Growth Grant. This policy change is intended to create greater access for businesses to government funding for the purpose of supporting their innovation.
- We help large businesses understand the innovation happening throughout their organisations, which is often opaque due to their size and complexity.
- Our team works with SMEs to streamline how they manage their access to funding, since this is often not the sole the responsibility of any one individual.
- For startup companies, we help them understand their matrix of government funding options as immediate access to cash often needs to be prioritised.
- In addition to the above, we also work with government in developing and implementing policies to achieve national goals of raising New Zealand’s overall investment in innovation.
- Even though our priority right now is providing support to the business community and government throughout the current phase of rolling out the R&D Tax Incentive, our team’s long term strategy is to provide support generally with other similar forms of funding and tools to help businesses grow. This supports KPMG’s overall goal of fuelling New Zealand’s prosperity.
- As this is a rapidly evolving area, we are looking for a junior team member who is comfortable with uncertainty, with genuine curiosity, who is keen on helping us grow this area of KPMG’s business from the ground up.
- Given the wide range of stakeholders we work with - which includes CEOs, finance managers, technical experts, and government officials - those with both a technical and business/legal background would enjoy the challenge the most, and will be the most effective.
- You'll also have the following:
- A degree in one or more of the following areas: Business; Law; Science, Computer Science/Technology or Engineering; Social sciences e.g. politics
- A good foundation in financial literacy (i.e. comfortable reading and understanding a balance sheet and P&L)
- You enjoy working in a small team
We offer rewarding careers for outstanding professionals, ongoing learning and development opportunities, a collaborative and inclusive culture, and flexible and agile work practices that focus on our people's wellbeing to drive innovation and entrepreneurship. We also believe that our business plays a distinct and vital role in helping solve important social and environmental issues; and use our unique skills and expertise to help create positive and lasting impacts for our communities.
We believe diversity of thought, background and experience strengthens relationships and delivers meaningful benefits to our people, our clients and communities. We strive to be recognised as an employer of choice for all, irrespective of gender, ethnicity, generation, flexible work status, family circumstances, sexual orientation or disability and our inclusive culture promotes the development of our people nationwide.